There are some basic principals everyone should master to take their sales performance to the next level. Here are 10 tips to get you primed to be a top performer:
1. Make the Telephone Your Best Friend
If you want to succeed in sales, there is no getting around it. The phone is your number one productivity tool. Telephone prospecting is a still a skill you have to practice and develop to be a great salesperson.
2. Use Your CRM to Work and Track All of Your Leads
Get rid of your sticky notes and spreadsheets. Long term success is a result of building a strong pipeline. Effective use of your CRM ensures that you touch every prospect and client, on purpose, at the right time.
3. Become a Master at Following Up With Prospects
This is where great sales professionals separate themselves from the pack. There is a basic principle for winning in sales… follow up!
4. Develop Your Ability to Ask Great Questions
Questions are the basis for uncovering needs and building value. To give you a foundation, here are five questions for first time sales appointments.
5. Focus On Being an Excellent Listener
Great questions are supported by an ability to listen effectively. You have to listen like a detective.
6. Only Talk About the Things That Are Important to Your Prospects
If you spend time talking about anything else, you are wasting precious time. Try to look at things from the other person's perspective.
7. Be “Coachable” and Follow Through With Direction You Receive From Your Boss
Why do so many of us have a problem with authority? Your boss has your best interests in mind. Your number one business relationship should be with your manager.
8. Be a Positive Force and Leader On Your Team
Know the four basic disciplines of extraordinary leaders and elevate your thinking to produce maximum results.
9. Exceed Your Goals Every Month, Quarter, and Year
Sometimes the simple statements make the biggest impact. After a mass layoff, I heard an executive say, “People can’t be in a sales job and not sell anything.” If you are in a rut, check out these 11 tips for closing new business.
10. Use the Power of Self-Reflection to Get Better
Most sales people do a lot of driving. It's a great time to develop ways to keep improving. Practice your scripts and your messaging out loud during drive time to sharpen your agile selling skills.
What other tips can we add to this list? Please share your own sales expertise in the comments.